FRES OQUENDO FACES BRUCE SELDON IN CHICAGO ON FRIDAY, JULY 24TH

July 6, 2009 by
Filed under: Boxing News 

CHICAGO, IL (July 6, 2009) Fresh off a devastating third round knockout win on Friday, June 26th, two time world title challenger “FAST” Fres Oquendo will now face former heavyweight world champion, Bruce “THE ATLANTIC CITY EXPRESS” Seldon for the NABA Heavyweight Title in the ten round main event at “WINDY CITY FIGHT NIGHT 4” on Friday, July 24th at Chicago’s UIC Pavilion.

 

Oquendo was originally scheduled to face Argentinean Gonzalo Omar Basile last month at the upcoming “WINDY CITY FIGHT NIGHT 4”.

 

Oquendo, now 30-5-0 with nineteen knockouts, was dominant from the opening bell in his long awaited Chicago return against the rugged New Jersey native Mark Brown last month at “WINDY CITY FIGHT NIGHT 3” Dropping Brown twice hard in the third round, the bout was waived off by referee Geno Rodriguez at the 2:58 mark with a badly hurt Brown unable to defend himself. 

 

Seldon, 40-7-0 (36KO’s), won WBA World Heavyweight Title against Tony Tucker in 1995 and defended it once before losing to the Mike Tyson in September 1996. He has knocked out five of his last six opponents. Most recently he stopped Gabe Brown in the fifth round on May 15, 2009 in Atlantic City .

 

Said Oquendo about Seldon, “Bruce was always a very smart, technical fighter. I expect more of the same from him, he’s got a lot of pop and he knows all of the tricks of the game, so I’m going to have to be at my very best to beat him.”

 

About his quick return to fighting in Chicago , Oquendo said, “It was such a terrific night for my family and friends to be there, along with the support of the Chicago fight crowd. I really fed off their enthusiasm and look forward to fighting in front of them again on July 24th.”

 

The knockout win over Brown was Oquendo’s first bout in the Chicagoland area in nine years and his first as part of the Simmons Entertainment Marketing LLC management group, headed by NBA Star Bobby Simmons.  

 

Said Pesoli, “There’s just too many complications bringing Basile in from Argentina , I’ve seen Seldon’s last two fights and he was in very good shape and looked sharp. With his power, experience and intelligence, this is going to make for a terrific heavyweight fight on July 24th.

 

The undercard at “WINDY CITY FIGHT NIGHT 4” is headlined by a terrific lightweight bout between Chicagoans Gadiel Andaluz and Oscar De La Cruz.

 

Born and raised in Puerto Rico, the 26 year old Andaluz won his first three professional bouts in Chicago last year before suffering a setback against Dannie Williams in Tacoma , Washington late last year which moved his record to 3-1-0 (2KO’s).

 

A native of Mexico City , De La Cruz brings a competitive record of 5-6-0 (2KO’s) into the bout with Andaluz. His eleven pro bouts include battles against outstanding young prospects Matt Remillard, Mike Oliver and Argenis Mendez..

 

Other newcomers at “WINDY CITY FIGHT NIGHT 4” include super featherweight Noe Perez, 2-0-0 (2KO’s), super middleweight Mike Kurzeja, 1-0-0 (1KO) and the pro debuts of heavyweight David Latoria and junior middleweight Nate Mohr in separate bouts.

Additional information on “WINDY CITY FIGHT NIGHT 4” will be announced shortly.

 

“WINDY CITY FIGHT NIGHT 4” is presented by Dominic Pesoli’s 8 Count Productions, now in its twelfth year as the HOME OF THE BEST IN CHICAGO BOXING.

 

Advance tickets for “WINDY CITY FIGHT NIGHT 4”, starting at $31, can be purchased through the 8 Count Productions office at 312-226-5800 and through Ticketmaster at 1-800-745-3000 or www.ticketmaster.com.

 

Doors on the evening of the event will open at 7pm with the first bell at 8pm. The UIC Pavilion is located at 525 S. Racine , just one block south of the Eisenhower Expressway. For further information, please visit their website at www.uicpavilion..com

 

8 Count Productions, HOME OF THE BEST IN CHICAGO BOXING, was started by Dominic Pesoli in 1998 and has consistently presented the highest quality professional boxing events in Chicagoland.  In 2003, Pesoli along with former featherweight contender Mike Garcia, opened JABB Boxing Gym, a 6,000 square foot venue dedicated to the finest Chicagoland boxers of all talent levels.

 

For more information on 8 Count Productions and JABB Boxing Gym, please visit www.8countproductions.com and www.jabbboxing.com

 

Comments

Tell me what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!





  • RSS ESPN News

    • Former heavyweight promoter Kushner dies January 30, 2015
      Boxing promoter Cedric Kushner, one of the power players in the sport in the 1990s and early 2000s, suffered a heart attack and died Thursday in New York. He was 66.
      Dan Rafael
    • Mayweather, Pacquiao meet again privately January 29, 2015
      Hours after a public meeting and brief discussion during halftime of Tuesday night's Heat-Bucks game in Miami, Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. met privately for more than an hour to continue discussing terms for their proposed May 2 megafight.
      Dan Rafael
    • Holyfield has starring role in road-rage PSA January 29, 2015
      Flashing the same stone-faced glare that once was so familiar in the boxing ring, Evander Holyfield appeared headed toward another fight.
      Associated Press
    • Middleweight contender Mora to fight Han January 28, 2015
      Middleweight contender Sergio Mora, who was supposed to challenge world titleholder Jermain Taylor before the fight was canceled following Taylor's recent arrest, will instead face replacement opponent Abie Han on Feb. 6.
      Dan Rafael
    • Will Mayweather, Pacquiao Happen? January 28, 2015
      Visit ESPN.com for the complete story.
      Media
    • Rios dominates Alvarado, gets 3rd-round KO January 28, 2015
      Welterweights Brandon Rios and Mike Alvarado, warriors in the ring who became friends outside it through their series of brutal fights, concluded their trilogy Saturday night, as Rios destroyed Alvarado in a third-round knockout.
      Dan Rafael
    • Mental evaluation ordered for Jermain Taylor January 27, 2015
      Champion middleweight boxer Jermain Taylor must undergo a mental evaluation, an Arkansas judge said Tuesday.
      Associated Press
    • Golden Boy signs Matthysse to extension January 26, 2015
      Junior welterweight contender Lucas Matthysse, one of boxing's most fearsome punchers, signed a five-year contract extension Thursday with Golden Boy Promotions, president Oscar De La Hoya told ESPN.com.
      Dan Rafael
    • Spike TV unveils Haymon 'Champions' series January 26, 2015
      Another week, another television deal for boxing manager and adviser Al Haymon, who has the deepest stable of fighters in the sport and now has another outlet on which to have them televised.
      Dan Rafael and Brian Campbell
    • Alvarez-Kirkland fight a go, likely on May 2 January 26, 2015
      Former junior middleweight titlist Canelo Alvarez has signed on to face slugger James Kirkland, Golden Boy Promotions president Oscar De La Hoya.
      Dan Rafael