Alexander to move to Welterweight; Eyes Malignaggi

June 27, 2011 by
Filed under: Boxing News 


Fresh off his controversial win against Lucas Matthysse this past Saturday night, former Jr. Welterweight champion Devon Alexander will move to Welterweight according to Dan Rafael of espn.com

“That’s our last fight at 140,” Kevin Cunningham, Alexander’s manager and his trainer since he first began boxing as a young boy, told ESPN.com on Monday. “He’s killing himself so bad to make the weight. After six rounds, his legs aren’t there because he killed himself to make 140. He’s been making 140 pounds since he was 15 and an amateur. Now he’s a 24-year-old man.”

“Devon didn’t look strong in these last few fights by the mid-rounds,” Cunningham said, referencing Saturday’s fight plus Alexander’s first career loss in a title unification fight versus Timothy Bradley Jr. in January and his unanimous decision win against former titlist Andriy Kotelnik last August.

“Devon never used to weaken in these fights. He didn’t weaken in the (world title) fights with Junior Witter or (Juan) Urango. For those fights, he would get down to 146 and hit a wall at like 145 or 146. It took him a week and a half to get past 145, but he did it. For this fight with Matthysse, he got to 146 and he couldn’t get past it. It took a few weeks and he finally broke through, but it took a lot. A lot.

“I can’t keep putting my fighter at a disadvantage. He’s gotta move up. We’re taking off all this weight and there’s no fat, so he’s been taking off muscle.”

Cunningham already has an opponent in mind — former junior welterweight titlist Paulie Malignaggi, who moved up in weight last year but is on the shelf recovering from a hand injury suffered in his last fight.

“Our first up at 147, we’d like to fight Malignaggi,” Cunningham said. “I think it would be a great fight. Paulie’s already talking s— about Devon, so there’s some bad blood already.”

Also, Alexander’s promotional contract with Don King expired following the fight, so before he returns to the ring, Cunningham said they will be listening to offers.

“The contract with King is over and we’re free to talk to whoever we want to talk to,” Cunningham said. “So we’ll take a little break and then sit down and see what happens. We’ll see what the best direction is for Devon to go in and then we’ll start talking to people.”

Comments

Tell me what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!





  • RSS ESPN News

    • Crawford to fight Dulorme for vacant world title March 6, 2015
      2014 was such a good year for Terence Crawford that he earned two fighter of the year awards. Now the trick is to see if he can keep it going in 2015.
      Dan Rafael
    • Middleweight champ Cotto joins Roc Nation March 5, 2015
      Middleweight world champion Miguel Cotto, one of boxing's biggest stars, will be back in the ring in June with a new promoter handling his fights, music mogul Jay Z's Roc Nation Sports.
      Dan Rafael
    • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sportsbooks March 4, 2015
      Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do -- beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring.
      Associated Press
    • Sturm-Chudinov set for interim championship March 3, 2015
      Germany's Felix Sturm will challenge Russia's Fedor Chudinov for his interim super middleweight belt on May 9 in Frankfurt, Germany.
      Dan Rafael
    • Floyd-Manny to appear on March 11 in L.A. March 3, 2015
      With the deal for the long-awaited Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Manny Pacquiao megafight signed, it's time for the top two boxers in the world to come face to face to officially kick off the promotion for the fight.
      Dan Rafael
    • Making The Rounds: Thurman-Guerrero Preview March 3, 2015
      Visit ESPN.com for the complete story.
      Media
    • Gonzalez-Russell fight formally announced March 2, 2015
      The fight between Jhonny Gonzalez and Gary Russell Jr. was officially announced Monday.
      Dan Rafael
    • Promoter sues middleweight contender Lemieux March 2, 2015
      Montreal promoter Yvon Michel, who says he still has a contract with middleweight contender David Lemieux, is suing the fighter and others, claiming Lemieux broke their agreement.
      Dan Rafael
    • Frampton stops Avalos in 1st title defense March 1, 2015
      Fighting in his hometown of Belfast, Northern Ireland, Carl Frampton made the first defense of his 122-pound world title in devastating fashion as he laid a sustained beating on American Chris Avalos en route to a one-sided, fifth-round knockout.
      Dan Rafael
    • Diaz, badly injured 7 years ago, dead at 32 February 28, 2015
      Oscar Diaz, a former welterweight boxing contender whose career ended when he sustained a debilitating brain injury in a fight nearly seven years ago, has died. He was 32.
      Associated Press