Povetkin, Huck promise exciting WBA Heavyweight Title clash

February 23, 2012 by
Filed under: Uncategorized 

WBA Heavyweight Champion Alexander Povetin (23-0, 16 KOs) and WBO Cruiserweight Champion Marco Huck (34-1, 25 KOs) faced the media today at the final press conference ahead of their showdown in Stuttgart on Saturday night. “I´m ready to become heavyweight champion,” Huck said. “I would not have taken the fight if I didn´t believe in myself. Povetkin is good, but I can beat him. We once did sparring together and he has bad memories of me. On Saturday I will be the new champ. He is going down!”

While Huck tried his best to provoke Povetkin, the 32-year-old Russian remained calm. “At first I was surprised about Huck´s challenge because he has never fought at heavyweight before. But I am happy to defend my title against anybody out there. I am in great shape and I will win.”

Huck´s coach Ulli Wegner expects a hard-fought battle. “This will be an exciting fight,” he said. “It´s time to bring back some excitement to the heavyweight division and Saturday will be the first step. We believe that Marco has a better stamina than Povetkin but we will find out about that in the ring.”

Said Povetkin´s coach Alexander Zimin. “We had a very good preparation. Alexander has improved physically, I would say he is 20 to 30% stronger than in his last fight. But the best is yet to come. He has got great potential.”

Promoter Kalle Sauerland said the clash will be a real treat for fans. “This is what the heavyweight division needs,” he stated. “It will be very exciting. Both are fast, aggressive, strong and full of confidence. And both do not always have the best defence. It´s going to be spectacular.”

Comments

Tell me what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!





  • RSS ESPN News

    • Crawford to fight Dulorme for vacant world title March 6, 2015
      2014 was such a good year for Terence Crawford that he earned two fighter of the year awards. Now the trick is to see if he can keep it going in 2015.
      Dan Rafael
    • Middleweight champ Cotto joins Roc Nation March 5, 2015
      Middleweight world champion Miguel Cotto, one of boxing's biggest stars, will be back in the ring in June with a new promoter handling his fights, music mogul Jay Z's Roc Nation Sports.
      Dan Rafael
    • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sportsbooks March 4, 2015
      Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do -- beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring.
      Associated Press
    • Sturm-Chudinov set for interim championship March 3, 2015
      Germany's Felix Sturm will challenge Russia's Fedor Chudinov for his interim super middleweight belt on May 9 in Frankfurt, Germany.
      Dan Rafael
    • Floyd-Manny to appear on March 11 in L.A. March 3, 2015
      With the deal for the long-awaited Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Manny Pacquiao megafight signed, it's time for the top two boxers in the world to come face to face to officially kick off the promotion for the fight.
      Dan Rafael
    • Making The Rounds: Thurman-Guerrero Preview March 3, 2015
      Visit ESPN.com for the complete story.
      Media
    • Gonzalez-Russell fight formally announced March 2, 2015
      The fight between Jhonny Gonzalez and Gary Russell Jr. was officially announced Monday.
      Dan Rafael
    • Promoter sues middleweight contender Lemieux March 2, 2015
      Montreal promoter Yvon Michel, who says he still has a contract with middleweight contender David Lemieux, is suing the fighter and others, claiming Lemieux broke their agreement.
      Dan Rafael
    • Frampton stops Avalos in 1st title defense March 1, 2015
      Fighting in his hometown of Belfast, Northern Ireland, Carl Frampton made the first defense of his 122-pound world title in devastating fashion as he laid a sustained beating on American Chris Avalos en route to a one-sided, fifth-round knockout.
      Dan Rafael
    • Diaz, badly injured 7 years ago, dead at 32 February 28, 2015
      Oscar Diaz, a former welterweight boxing contender whose career ended when he sustained a debilitating brain injury in a fight nearly seven years ago, has died. He was 32.
      Associated Press