Juan Carlos Burgos Demands a Rematch… Now

January 21, 2013 by
Filed under: Boxing News 

NEW YORK (JANUARY 21, 2013)—On the heels of Saturday night’s controversial WBO Super Featherweight title bout that saw defending champion Roman Martinez receive a gift draw against Juan Carlos Burgos, Burgos promoters Banner Promotions and Thompson Boxing are filing a request to the WBO for an immediate rematch.

The bout saw Burgos batter and get the better of Martinez for the duration of the twelve round fight yet only judge Waleska Roldan had the fight scored in favor of Burgos by a tally of 117-111. Somehow judges Tony Paolillo saw the fight for Martinez 116-112 and John Signorile had the fight even at 114-114.

Even before the scores were announced, the HBO broadcast team called into question about the judges as they had 9 combined title assignments with Signorile working his first title bout ever.

HBO Boxing Analyst Max Kellerman went as far to say to “Keep your eye on Paolillo” before the scores were even announced. Kellerman later said he “should not get an assignment on this level…”

The official punch stats showed a 286-193 advantage for Burgos with a 234-164 tally on power punches

HBO also ran a poll where fans sent in their thoughts on who won the fight and an overwhelming 84% of those who participated believed that Burgos should have been awarded the victory and title.

“Juan Carlos won that fight hands down and this week we will file for an immediate rematch”, said Arthur Pelullo, CEO of Banner Promotions.

Continued Pelullo, “The kid worked hard and should be a world champion this morning. We just hope the WBO agrees with what the whole world saw and does the right thing by granting us this rematch”.

Added Alex Camponovo, General Manager of Thompson Boxing, “The draw left Juan Carlos Burgos completely dejected and angry. We all felt the same way as his dream of becoming a champion turned into a New York nightmare. We hope the WBO does not punish a young man who has given everything to his craft since the age of 10 and joined the pros when he was 16 years old. An immediate rematch should be the only solution to a poor ending and I think Martinez’s people and the champion himself know deep down that he did not do enough to retain the belt.”

Below is a sampling of respected boxing media opinions on the fight:

- Mike Rosenthal of Ring Magazine: “This is what bothers me: Juan Carlos Burgos dreams his entire life of winning a major world championship, which so far had eluded him, and then earns that title by dominating the current champion in the ring. Then a bungling judge steals what should’ve been the greatest night of his career. That’s what happened on Saturday, when Burgos clearly outboxed WBO lightweight titleholder Rocky Martinez but had to settle for a draw because of a horrible split decision. The rogue judge was Tony Paolillo, who somehow scored the fight 116-112 (eight rounds to four) for Martinez. The 114-114 score of John Signorile also is baffling. The biggest punches of the fight were the dozens of punishing body shots landed by Burgos. And, according to punch stats, Burgos landed 93 more overall punches and 70 more power punches than Martinez (286-193 and 234-164). That Paolillo and Signorile somehow failed to see that left Burgos (30-1-1, 20 KOs) on the wrong end of yet another injustice in boxing. Shame.”

- Dan Rafäel of espn.com: 116-112 Burgos. “The 24-year-old Burgos (30-1-1, 20 KOs), however, seemed to carry the better of it. He used a hard, sustained body attack throughout the fight. Of the 234 power shots Burgos landed, 118 were to the body, according to CompuBox statistics. Burgos outlanded Martinez (26-1-2, 16 KOs) in 10 of the 12 rounds”

- Harold Lederman-HBO Judge: 117-111 Burgos. On the broadcast, Lederman was quoted as saying, “Burgos carried this fight. I don’t know how you miss it”

- Doug Fischer of Ring Magazine: I scored 115-113 for Burgos.

-Steve Kim of Maxboxing.com: 116-112 Burgos

-Lem Satterfield of Ring Magazine: 115-113 for Burgos

- Kevin Iole of yahoo.com 115-113 for Burgos

With this much discord, the boxing world deserves redemption for this injustice. Banner Promotions and Thompson Boxing eagerly await a response from the World Boxing Organization.

Comments

Tell me what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!





  • RSS ESPN News

    • Alexander-Khan bout nearly finalized for Dec. October 21, 2014
      Devon Alexander and Amir Khan have agreed to fight, and the deal is in the process of being finalized as the main event of a Dec. 13 tripleheader on Showtime in Las Vegas.
      Dan Rafael
    • Alexander-Khan bout nearly finalized for Dec. October 21, 2014
      Devon Alexander and Amir Khan have agreed to fight, and the deal is in the process of being finalized as the main event of a Dec. 13 tripleheader on Showtime in Las Vegas.
      Dan Rafael
    • Speed Bag: Khan Agrees To Fight Alexander October 20, 2014
      Visit ESPN.com for the complete story.
      Media
    • Golovkin KO's Rubio in 2nd round, keeps title October 20, 2014
      Gennady Golovkin, boxing's most devastating knockout artist, delivered yet another crushing KO as he drilled Marco Antonio Rubio in the second round to retain his middleweight world title on Saturday night at the StubHub Center.
      Dan Rafael
    • Mayweather being sued by sons of ex-champ October 20, 2014
      The sons of former heavyweight world champion Hasim Rahman are suing Floyd Mayweather Jr., Mayweather Promotions and Showtime on a variety of charges stemming from the infamous sparring sessions televised on the network's "All Access" reality series.
      Dan Rafael
    • Pacquiao outpointed in pro basketball debut October 20, 2014
      Manny Pacquiao made his professional basketball debut on Sunday, just a month before he is set to defend his WBO welterweight crown.
      Associated Press
    • Unbeaten Walters stops Donaire in Round 6 October 20, 2014
      CARSON, Calif. -- Nicholas Walters is known as "The Axe Man," and he kept swinging punches just like one as he chopped down Nonito Donaire to win a world featherweight title before a crowd of 9,323 on Saturday night at the StubHub Center on the undercard of Gennady Golovkin's middleweight title defense against Marco Antonio Rubio.Walters ended
      Dan Rafael
    • Lemieux's U.S. debut is Dec. 6 in Brooklyn October 20, 2014
      Montreal middleweight David Lemieux (32-2) will take on Gabriel Rosado on Dec. 6 in Brooklyn, N.Y.
      Dan Rafael
    • Garcia vacates title; Salido is full champion October 15, 2014
      Mikey Garcia has vacated his junior lightweight title, and Orlando Salido has been elevated to full champion.
      Dan Rafael
    • Major shareholders cut ties to Golden Boy October 15, 2014
      Golden Boy Promotions president and co-founder Oscar De La Hoya has bought out the two largest shareholders in the company besides him, at their request.
      Dan Rafael